Thursday, August 17, 2017

Recipe: The Best, Easy Peasy Blueberry Muffins


I had some blueberries in my fridge (RM 6.90 per pack! So cheap!) and my daughter was a little fussy as she had a cough and was teething (what a terrible combination) so I searched for an easy blueberry muffin recipe online to get her to eat more antioxidants (she won't eat the blueberries on its' own). What's worse is the blueberry stains she left on the carpet trying to destroy it.

The recipe from AllRecipes.com claimed to be To Die For Blueberry Muffins, and definitely was true! It had a crumbly sugary top (upon baking I realised how this recipe was not waistline-friendly) unlike other muffin recipes. I'm not a baker at all but it's really easy to follow so if you're not so confident with baking (I have zero confidence!), and have any blueberries in your cupboard then this recipe is perfect!

Click the 'Read More' link below to view the full recipe!

Recipe: The Best, Easy Peasy Blueberry Muffins
Adapted From AllRecipes.com
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 - 25 mins
*Makes about 6 large  muffin

Ingredients
Part 1
1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour (I used Wheat Flour)
3/4 Cup Sugar (I reduced it to 1/2 Cup)
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoon Baking Powder

Part 2
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

1 cup blueberries

Part 3 (Crumb Topping)
1/2 cup sugar (I would reduce it to 1/3)
1/3 cup flour 
1/4 cup butter, cubed 
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Cooking Methods
  1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a muffin pan with butter/ cooking spray/ use muffin cups.
  2. In a big mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients of Part 1. Avoid overmixing the mixture.
  3. Place all the ingredients of Part 2 into a cup and mix well. Add to the bowl containing Part 1 ingredients.
  4. Fold in the blueberries into the bowl of mixed ingredients. Avoid overmixing the mixture.
  5. Using two spoons, scoop the mix into your muffin pan/ muffin cups.
  6. To make the crumb topping, mix together the ingredients from Part 3 in a separate bowl with a fork, and sprinkle over your muffin mixture.
Notes
  • For the Crumb Topping, I ran out of flour and used too much butter. I would actually suggest reducing the quantity as I had a lot of balance leftover of crumb topping.
  • Double the recipe to double the muffin quantity.
  • I think it can keep for 3 days, maybe maximum 4 days.
  • Stains like crazy... so careful when giving it to walking, crawling infants haha
  • In the future I would find a way to make it more waistline-friendly, maybe reduce the sugar or substitute the sugar with honey
Adding all the ingredients of Part 1.

Mixing ingredients from Part 2 in a measuring cup.

Adding Part 2 ingredients to Part 1 and mixing it well.

Folding in the blueberries into the muffin mixture.

Muffin mixture is done!

Scooping the muffin mixture into the greased pan.

Making the Crumb Topping.

Mixing the Crumb Topping together. I used an old sugar+cinnamon+nutmeg mix I kept in the fridge from a previous Apple Pie I baked. As you can see, too much butter, not enough flour, so my topping was very chunky.

Muffin mixture with the chunky Crumb Topping. 

Bigger photo for you to see how the muffin looks like once it's done. A tad brown, but the inside was light and fluffy (I tore one on the left side for comparison)! The crumb topping was to die for; it was crunchy, sweet, salty, like a sweet version of a Parmesan Crisp.

Whole versus torn apart.

How the inside looks like. Pretty purple stains! (Avoid anything white hahaha)

As you can see, the muffin mix was very airy, light and soft. I loved how pretty the different gradients and tones of blueberry was!

Will she like it? Will she not like it?

My daughter nomming the muffins. She ended up getting the stains on the carpet anyway hahaha. 
She did eat half of it. And then some the next morning. So semi-success? My real test subject was my husband, who finished two whole muffins yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment :) I love any opinions, feedback, that sort of things. Let me know if you have any questions and I will respond!