Sunday, August 13, 2017

Recipe: Home-made Babyfriendly Chicken Nuggets


I'm always trying to find easy and baby-friendly recipes for my daughter. During the weekend, we tend to eat a lot of junk and unhealthy food as we're always at wedding receptions and just generally out seeing people, so I'll try to feed her healthier food during the weekdays when I send her to her nursery. 

Asian food generally is high in carbs (porridge/ congee) for babies, mashed potatoes etc - so I was trying to find a recipe to incorporate more protein and veggies, and I found a really great recipe from foodbabieslove.com.au for chicken nuggets, coincidentally I had all the ingredients in my fridge. My daughter's also at the age where she prefers to feed herself, so porridge can get a little messy. These nuggets are convenient and great for babies who wants their little independence.

The recipe is really easy to follow and produce - although I would probably sub the onions and garlic with powder next time. 

Happy face enjoying the chicken nugget.

Click the 'Read More' link below to view the full recipe!


Homemade Babyfriendly Chicken Nuggets
[Recipe adapted from foodbabieslove.com.au]

Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 - 20 minutes

Ingredients:
300 - 400 grams chicken breast/ minced chicken
2/3 of a whole zucchini, diced (1/2 cup)
1 Garlic clove, diced finely
1/2 White Onion, diced finely
1 Slice of Bread, diced and soaked in 50 ml of milk
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 whole egg
2 tablespoon cornstarch

Cooking Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line oven tray with aluminium foil.
  2. Mix the chicken together with the onion, garlic and zucchini in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add in the egg, cheese, cornflour, and bread. Season with salt if you prefer.
  4. Scoop tablespoon of the mixture onto the oven tray. Place on the lowest level in the oven.
  5. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes. Wait until cool before serving.
Additional Notes
  • If you can't get minced chicken, you can get chicken fillet/ chicken breast, cut it into small dices and blender it in small batches.
  • I wouldn't suggest adding chicken skin as it can get tangled in the blender blades and reduce efficiency.
  • You can sub the onion and garlic for powder version.
  • You can freeze the nuggets (wait for it to cool completely) and add a lining of plastic in between the layers (so it doesn't stick together). Reheat in microwave for 1 - 2 minutes to serve. I usually reheat it and wait for it to cool before adding it into my daughter's lunchbox.

Ingredients for the nuggets.

Mix the chicken, zucchini, onion and garlic together well,

Add the cheese, egg, corn flour, bread, and salt.

How the mixture looks after adding everything together.

Scoop the mixture onto a tray.

The nuggets after they have cooked.


"What's this mommy?"

Nomming the nuggets. Our cat, Max, is in the background waiting to pounce on the nugget.



First bite of the nugget.


Success! Doesn't seem like she has any aversions to the zucchini in the nugget.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Junee for the post - I'm so happy that she loved the nuggets and that my recipes are being enjoyed in Malaysia! Emily - Food Babies Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the post we are serving london with the best quality lamb neck have a look on or site

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :) I love any opinions, feedback, that sort of things. Let me know if you have any questions and I will respond!